Spinal fusion is a surgical procedure to combine two vertebrae into a unit structure and eliminating motion between them. The fused vertebral structure acts as a bridge between two spinal segments, connecting and stabilizing the spinal canal.
The space between the vertebrae is replaced with a bone graft or a bone-like structure to promote natural bone growth and stabilize the structure. The surgeons use metal plates, clamps, screws, and rods for spinal fusion Surgery In Delhi, to secure a firm fused vertebral structure.
When Does Our Specialist Recommend Spinal Fusion Surgery in Delhi?
Our specialist recommends spinal fusion surgery in the following cases:
- Spinal Deformity– Spinal Fusion surgery is remarkably helpful in treating spinal deformity side curvature due to Scoliosis or Kyphosis.
- Spinal Instability– The fusion surgery helps restore unbalanced motions between vertebrae, causing pain and instability. Spinal instability is a common side-effect in cases of severe osteoarthritis.
- Herniated Disc- It is usually recommended for spinal stabilization after herniated disc removal.
Procedure Of Spine Fusion Treatment
Dr. Amit Chugh performs spinal fusion surgery after thoroughly examining an individual’s case for spinal abnormality. The procedure of spine fusion treatment proceeds in the following steps:
- Incision: The doctor incises skin and retracts other tissues and ligaments from the surgery site, accessing the vertebrae on which the fusion surgery is performed.
- Retraction: The surgeon trims bone spurs or cuts off a degenerated or herniated disk that caused back problems, and makes space for graft implantation.
- Bone Graft Implantation: The bone graft is either taken from the bone bank or from your own body to replace the removed intervertebral disc. Our surgeon also uses synthetic spacer bone grafts to promote natural bone growth. The bone graft fills in the intervertebral space, giving stability to the vertebral structure.
- Fusion: The surgeon fuse and fix the inserted graft in the vertebrae with metal plates, screws, and clamps to prevent the graft from sliding.
- Incision closure: Finally, the incision is closed with dissolvable sutures and tapes. The doctor prescribes analgesic and bone-strengthening medicines for faster recovery.
What To Expect?
You may expect slight pain, discomfort, and constricted movement in the back, which should subside in the given time. However, if you witness the following signs of infection or pain, contact our spine specialist immediately.
- Unbearable pain
- Redness and rashes over the back
- Wound drainage
- Chills and high fever
Why Choose Dr. Amit Chugh For It?
Dr. Amit Chugh is a highly educated and an accomplished spine surgeon and consultant. He has experience working with the most renowned spine specialists teams. He devises his esteemed knowledge and skills to perform intricate and complex spine surgeries, gaining positive outcomes. Our team works unanimously under the close supervision of Dr. Amit Chugh to perform surgery adeptly.
Fusion surgery has quite a chance of infection if not done properly. Our doctor pays close attention to nuances of surgery, mitigating risk, infection, and failure chances in the procedure.